SANDWICH CUBANO- Cuban Sandwich


My sister shared a link to a fun article on The Salt, NPR's food blog: The Cuban Sandwich Crisis: Tampa V. Miami.... Tampa and Miami in a battle to claim the Cuban sandwich as their own. 

I really enjoyed the article and it reminded me that we all see the world through our own filters. As I read I found myself giving thanks, once again, that my parents took the difficult steps and made the sacrifice to leave Cuba. I am so grateful that we were fortunate enough to get out and I ache for the many others who still cannot. I joyfully gave thanks that we live in a country where we can argue about who makes the "right" sandwich! 


Then I said a prayer for the people in Cuba who don't even have the freedom to set up a sandwich shop, buy a traditional Cuban sandwich, or even complain that they can't do so, without fears of repercussions.


Here is how our parents taught us to make "El Sandwich Cubano"



CUBAN SANDWICH 

Cuban bread


Ham 


Roast pork slices (ideally seasoned with mojo)


Swiss cheese 


Pickle slices (very thin)


Butter or mustard 



Cut the bread in half length-wise. Spread butter or mustard on the cut side of the bread. If you live where you can't get Cuban bread like I do, you could use French bread, it’s similar.


According to my parents the traditional Cuban sandwich requires butter; they said that in the US mustard is substituted to accommodate the American palate. My father thought this was heresy!


Add slices of ham, roast pork, Swiss cheese and several thin slices of pickle. Warm up in a sandwich press until cheese is slightly melted and enjoy! 

1 Response to SANDWICH CUBANO- Cuban Sandwich

May 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM

A childhood memory growing up in Key West. Makes my mouth water!

Post a Comment