LIMONADA-Lemonade


A few days ago Mayor Bloomberg of NYC proposed banning the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks. See New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks  
I’ve enjoyed observing the reaction to this. Some people agree that it is a good way to bring awareness and help in the fight against obesity. Others are laughing about the ridiculousness of it.


It reminds me of a story from my childhood in Cuba......


I have always loved to read. I devoured every book in my parents’ bookcase, that they felt was appropriate for children. Among their books was a collection of old Reader’s Digest magazines, from BC (before Castro). I read every one of those delightful magazines many times. I especially liked the jokes, funny stories, and a particularly lovely recurring feature called MI PERSONAJE MAS INOLVIDABLE (My Most Unforgettable Character) that is no longer in the magazine (or perhaps was only in the Spanish version?). I also loved the advertisements; they were so amazing to a little girl growing up in a Communist country with nothing available in stores. There were so many things advertised on those pages that I really had trouble accepting that it was not fiction. I had been brain washed in the Communist schools for several years and even though our parents tried to tell us that there was another world out there, I couldn’t conceive of private individuals or companies selling their products, or even the existence of so many items to fulfill every dream. 


One day, as I perused the ads again I noticed an advertisement for a 32 oz coke. “Aha!”  I said to myself, “I knew this was all fake!” I went to my father and shoved the magazine page with the preposterous advertisement in front of his face. 


“I knew this wasn’t real, why would they ALLOW such a large soda to be sold, nobody can drink that much”, I challenged with all my brainwashed Communist 10 year old superiority. He patiently explained how in the US and the rest of the Free World people could buy anything they wanted to, as long as they had the money for it, even if they couldn’t drink it or it wasn’t good for them. He added that the government of the US did not issue ration cards like we had in Cuba, or tell people what they could buy. 

I had a very difficult time believing him. I just couldn’t imagine being allowed to buy anything I wanted.
I still love Readers Digest, though I rarely look at the advertisements now. These days I choose not to drink soda and I avoid most sugary drinks, because I want to. However I think I will go now and make some lemonade, the way my father made it, and drink as much I want. 
Here are the ingredients

LIMONADA- Lemonade

My parents referred to both limes and lemons as limones (lemons). They distinquished them by the color, limones verdes (green) and limones amarillos (yellow). They preferred limones verdes or what we would call limes. 

For this recipe I used some of each, since I just happened to have both on hand. Also, I use raw sugar like my father did. He grew sugar cane for the refinery in their small town of Tuinucú, and he considered raw sugar the "real" sugar. 

About 8 limes or lemons to yield about 1 cup of juice
3 cups cold water
2 cups of cubed ice
1 cup of raw sugar*

 Wash the limes and lemons, cut them in half and get all the juice out. 




One way to do it
The easier way


Combine with water and sugar and stir until the sugar is disolved. Add lots of ice and enjoy a most refreshing drink. 


* Instead of the raw sugar you can use 1/2 cup of honey. For less calories try a teaspoon of stevia and 2 Tablespoons of honey. You could even use regular sugar, as much as you want or none at all.  It is totally up to you.....for now. 



1 Response to LIMONADA-Lemonade

June 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I can personally vouch for the tastiness of this wonderful lemonade! Also, I always love your stories Maria!

Post a Comment