Duermete mi Niño Lullaby




The baby is Isis, I the grumpy toddler  
I had a goal of posting a recipe every week, but sometimes goals need to be modified, because life is to be lived and enjoyed as it happens. The last couple of weeks I have been spending time helping my daughter  with her new baby. I have made many meals (making extra to freeze for the days to come when she will be too busy to think of cooking), played  all kinds of games with the 3 year-old big brother, and got to hold and rock the baby! I find rocking a baby to be a very grounding experience. When rocking, singing, and caring for a little child, all other cares seem to fade into the background, and I am reminded of the things that really matter in life. I am so grateful to be able to enjoy this sacred time with my new grandchild.  
Mamina & Nina

So instead of a food recipe, this week I'm posting a recipe for putting babies to sleep! This is a lullaby my mother sang to my sisters and me. I can actually remember being in my mother's arms, as she rocked and sang to me. I don't know if this means I have a great memory, or if she continued to rock me until I was much more than a baby!  I put my children to sleep with this same song and now my grandchildren also hear it sung by me and by their parents. 


My children were surprised to hear that there were so many verses; they only remembered the first few. I guess they fell asleep and missed the rest! Several family members have asked for the words, here they are in Spanish, and then the translation (thank you Isis!). I'm afraid this will not be interesting unless you speak Spanish, it doesn't rhyme at all in English. 

Any Cubans out there (or anyone of Spanish descent) remember this song from their childhood? Did it originate in Spain? Are there any other verses? 

I don't know much about music, but a friend wrote up the notes for me. 

Duermete Mi Niña (or Niño)
CORO entre cada verso:  Duermete mi niña, duermete mi amor, 
                                   duermete pedazo de mi corazón.
Tu mamá te quiere, tu papá también,
todos en la casa te queremos bién.
Mamina with one of my sons.

Esta niña linda que nació de dia
quiere que la lleven a la dulcería.

Esta niña linda que nació de noche
quiere que la lleven a pasear en coche.           
                                                                                                                                         
Esta niña linda se quiere dormir y el picaro sueño no quiere venir.

Si el sueño no quiere venir por acá a ver ratoncito, a ver donde está.
Señora mi ama, yo lo vi bailando, con dos damas rubias en la casa real. 

Que venga enseguida y le daré yo un collar de plata y un limón de olor.
La loba, la loba le compró al lobito un calzón de seda y un gorro bonito.

La loba la loba salió de paseo, con su traje lindo y su niño feo. 
La luna, la luna se quiere casar con un pajarito de plata y coral.

Duermete mi niña tu iras a la boda peinada de moños y en traje de cola. 
Duermete mi niño para que la luna, se ponga contenta y te de aceituna. 

Duermete mi niño, para que el lucero te haga una almuadita de albahaca y romero.
Se enojó la luna, se enojó el lucero porque mi niñito riñó con el sueño.
Duermete mi niño que tengo que hacer, lavar los pañales, sentarme a coser

Señora mi ama, por que llora el niño, por una manzana que se le ha perdido.


Yo le daré una, yo le daré dós, una para el niño y otra para vós. 
Por la calle arriba vienen 3 luceros, San José, la virgen y el niño hechisero.

El niñito tiene los risos de luz, duermete mi niña sueña con Jesus.
Por los campos verdes de Jerusalem va un niñito rubio camino a Belén.

Le dán los pastores tortas de maíz, leche de sus cabras y pán con anís.

La virgen lavaba, San José tendia, el niño lloraba, San Juan lo mecía. 
Señor jardinero, deme usted a mí, una rosa blanca y otra carmecí.

Las pondre en la almuada, donde mi niñita unde sus mejillas rosadita y blancas.

Y al dia siguiente, tendrá usted así, dos rositas blancas y dos carmecí
Me & my new little grandson! 
TRANSLATION for  Duermete mi niña 
Chorus (sung between each verse): 
                                               Sleep my girl (boy), sleep my love
                                               Sleep piece of my heart.
Your Mother loves you, your Father too, everyone in the household loves you well.
This pretty girl (boy) who was born during the day wants to go to the pastry shop.
This pretty girl (boy) who was born at night wants to go for a carriage ride.
This pretty girl (boy) wants to go to sleep, and mischievous Sleep doesn’t want to come.

If Sleep doesn’t want to come here, go little mouse to see where he is. 
Mistress, I saw him dancing in the royal house with two blonde ladies. 

Tell him to come immediately and I will give him a silver necklace and a fragrant lemon.
The she-wolf bought silk pants and a pretty cap for the baby-wolf.

The she-wolf went for a walk in her pretty suit with her ugly child.
The moon, the moon, wants to marry a little silver and red bird. 

Sleep my girl you will go to the wedding with your hair done up and a dress with a train.
Sleep my girl (boy) so that the moon will be happy and give you olives. 

Sleep my girl (boy) so the brightest star will give you a pillow of basil and rosemary.
The moon was angered; the brightest star was angered because my little girl (boy) argued with Sleep.
Sleep my girl (boy) I have much to do, wash your diapers, sit and sew.
Mistress, why is the baby crying? Because he has lost an apple. 

 I will give him one, I will give him two, one for the baby and one for you.
Down the street come three bright stars, St. Joseph, the Virgin and the enchanting Child.

The little Boy has curls of light, sleep my girl (boy), dream of Jesus.
Through the green fields of Jerusalem goes a little blond Boy towards Bethlehem.

The shepherds give him corn muffins, milk from their goats and aniseed bread.
The Virgin washed the laundry, St. Joseph hung it on the line, the Baby cried and St. John rocked Him. 

Mr. Gardener give me a white rose and a crimson one.

I will put them on the pillow where my little girl rests her cheeks pink and white.

And the next day you shall have two white roses and two crimson ones. 

9 Response to Duermete mi Niño Lullaby

April 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM

I t0tally remember this song and for years I have been trying to find the lyrics. my dad is cuban and he died 18 years ago but i remember him singing me this song as if it was yesterday.

April 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM

My mom is Dominican I am getting married this year and was looking for the lyrics for when I have kids. I sing it to myself in my head a little when I feel very anxious or sad. I also remember this song so vividly. But like the author's children don't remember all the verses I think my mom might have just hummed a few lines. Almost cried when I found it, thanks for posting!

April 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Also, the first line was different

June 25, 2015 at 7:32 AM

I have made many meals (making extra to freeze for the days to come when she will be too busy to think of cooking), played all kinds of games with the 3 year-old big brother, Lullaby Babies

May 16, 2016 at 6:49 PM

My Dad and grandmother would sing me this song when in was young and also sang it to my children. I am Cuban.

October 5, 2018 at 2:26 AM

A big collection of Spanish lullabies for kids: http://lullabies-for-babies.com/lullabies/world-lullabies/spanish-lullabies

June 10, 2019 at 8:20 PM

I am Mexican and I do remember my mother singing this song to me as a baby. Brought to me beautiful memories!

July 8, 2022 at 9:50 PM

I was born in Cuba but my parents were from Spain. I remember my Spanish grandmother specially singing this to me. However I don't remember all these verses. I remember some of the other verses but I thought they were different songs. The funny thing is I always thought it was panaderia, which didn't really rhyme. My father was a panadero, so I think my grandmother changed the lyrics. That's also the way I always sang it to my children. Looking at this made me realized she changed the lyrics to make it more personal. It has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for publishing this.

July 8, 2022 at 9:54 PM

Does anyone with Spanish heritage remember ole caballito vamos a belen? My dad used to sing this to me while bouncing me on his knee.

Post a Comment