BOCADITOS-Small, Soft, Savory Sandwiches



On Mother's Day I got to be present for the birth of my new grandson! Few things equal the joy of being able to welcome a baby into the world. 

So this is celebration time and Bocaditos are Cuban party food! 

In Cuba BC (before Communism) and later in the US, my mother made bocaditos for birthday parties, trips to the beach, any celebration. When my parents came to live with us, she made them for my children. The children would ask Mamina for Bocaditos anytime a car trip was being planned, (especially to Lake Powell) and my mother was happy to oblige. We'd put them in a cooler and when hungry reached for a small bite.....or several! 

One time I told her not to worry about making them, I was beginning to be concerned about imposing on her as she got older. Plus I was busy packing everything else and didn't want to take the time to go buy the rolls. She was quite offended, and it's a good thing the children and their friends didn't know about it, or I would have had a mutiny on my hands! I repented and never again denied her the joy of making anything for her beloved grandchildren. 

My mother would approve of this post. She  loved children and joyfully helped me and my sister Nina raise our respective children with lots of loving and good food. I think it is also a cultural Cuban thing; children are treasured and spoiled (in good ways) by their parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles!

Here is Mamina with my sister Isis.  



Bocadito is a small mouthful. They are small sandwiches made with soft rolls. They are always a hit and super easy to make. When I take them to a pot-luck, everyone wants the recipe. 


BOCADITOS
1 small can Deviled ham (4.25 oz)
1 package of cream cheese (8 oz)
1 bottle chopped pimentos (2 oz)
2 dozen soft dinner rolls, or potato rolls. 
If you are making them for a large group, go ahead and double the recipe. Use the larger can of Deviled ham and 4 oz bottle of pimentos, you will be glad you did!

Mix the first 3 ingredients well till you have a smooth paste. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the paste to make the little sandwiches. Enjoy! 

8 Response to BOCADITOS-Small, Soft, Savory Sandwiches

May 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I love these little looks into your life. The picture of mamina and Isis
Is precious. I will definatlely try some of these great recipes.

May 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

That's such a great story. I think I need to make these for my next road trip!

Anonymous
May 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM

The little sandwiches sound wonderful. I am going to try them soon! Thanks for sharing!! Cathie

May 22, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Hi Maria
I have a blog as well but have not been faithful not sure what to do with it yet. http://tetoncurtis.blogspot.com/
I loved the bocaditos that were served at the Layton party. It was so nice to hear what it was like to live under those trying times. How truly it was a miracle that you made it out.
-Brent-

May 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Hi again Maria
I talked to you after the Layton party and told you about my LULU stories here is a link. http://www.lulu.com/shop/brent-lichfield/bedtime-stories-by-poppa/paperback/product-12444684.html
as a hobby I build webpages and here is my latest attempt. At http://www.emptynestreviews.com/
Once again so nice to hear your story of how you got out of Cuba. Still think angels must have intervined. -Brent-

May 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I made these for dinner tonight, and almost 2 year old Desmond couldn't get enough of them, He was almost shoving them into his mouth!!! Delicious!

June 8, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Thank you Brent, I know you are right about the angels!

I looked at your sites and loved the http://www.emptynestreviews.com/, terrific idea!

March 20, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Thank you for sharing this story! The sweetness and old world mentality brought tears to my eyes. I miss my grandmother dearly...... The picture is a perfect treasure. Thank you Maria!

Post a Comment