CHOCOLATICOS-Chocolate Squares




I've been reading my  friend Whitney Johnson's  new book, Dare, Dream, Do: Remarkable Things Happen When You Dare to Dream,  and thinking about how our dreams affect those around us, and how other people's dreams can also bless our lives. In particular our parents dreams. The lives my sisters and I enjoy are the realization of our parents' dreams of freedom. I hope that my dreams have that kind of wonderful impact in my children's lives. 

I tell more about Whitney's book in my other blog, let me just say it is a wonderful recipe for a fulfilled life, and how excited I am that she included my story about Antoñica in her book! 

So thank you Whitney for including my story in your book, and thank you Mamina for helping me learn to dream. 

My mother loved anything sweet, especially chocolate.  Chocolaticos were one of her favorite treats to make. I loved watching her make these candies, it seemed like art. She made them often and kept them in empty cookie tins, lined with paper. 

I tried to make chocolaticos after Mamina passed away, because my son Jason loves them. I found out candy making is not one of my talents, maybe you need a sweet tooth (like my mother had and I lack) to be successful in candy making. Then I called my sister Nina, and she came over and whipped them up without any trouble! 

CHOCOLATICOS- Chocolate squares

These are not creamy like fudge, but more dry like a wafer. They keep very well in a glass or plastic container. 


4 cups of sugar

11/2 cups milk

4 Tablespoons cocoa

4 Tablespoons butter

4 Tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon vanilla


Mix sugar, milk, cocoa and butter. Stir and heat to boil. Once it’s all blended and boiling, lower heat to med-low. Cook for about 20 minutes, do not stir, to hard ball stage (250°-260°-If you put a drop in a dish of water it will form a hard ball which will stay together even if you take it out of the water). Now add honey, keep stirring and cooking until you can see the bottom of the pan. Add vanilla. Spread on greased cookie sheet. When cool cut into squares. 













No Response to "CHOCOLATICOS-Chocolate Squares"

Post a Comment